Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Floating membrane I

UTAR Ar y1s1 3rd assignment : Floating Membrane
Duration: 2 weeks
Requirement: Using architectural principle to create a floating membrane that fly in the air above 2m height for 10 minutes \e.g. hot air balloon
Difficulty: epic high as we are the 1st batch student who accomplished that.
Concept design: Based on animal from zoo. FROG.
Group: Shenkai as leader, KokOnn and I.

This were our initial concept. Lecturer reckon our design.

There is the Chinese quote saying that, 10minutes of performance on stage might have spent 10 years of practices and efforts. Yea, I really meant it. To fly such awesome floating membrane, we really sacrifice a lot, entertainment time, sleeping time, facebooking time. Waiseng and I even stayed at Jacky ShenKai hse for 3 days.

Before a real floating membrane coming up, there were lot of researches and experiment to be done. We surfed youtube to find the best adaptation of balloon, the way to do the template, the way to ignite the fire, the way to control the constant heat supply, the way to design..


We even burnt the 2nd mock up that we had spent half day doing it.


This was another mock up. Made up of glass paper as we prefer transparency. It seriously looks epic nice, like a lantern. However, we failed as the glass paper melts.


After trial and tribulations, we did the very same hot air balloon from the youtube but failed. The plastic bags we used are poor quality and cannot withstand high temperature.


This was another mock up as well. I got plastic bags from Jusco and NSK, both had different texture and composition, yet they both melted.


Mini lantern we did, but failed. As the size were too small.


First group who successfully floated the balloon was Kin Jun's group, and this made us very stressed..Nonetheless, we had come up the 3rd group who floated the membrane successfully.

It was 3am. Our hardworks pay and that was the best moment. I quickly uploaded the pic and shared to facebook.


And not to forget our presentation board. All architectural lettering was by mine, and the drawing colouring from Shenkai. Lecturer said we got the best presentation board. ;)

After all, we did learn something, that is teamworkship. Never subscribe I ME and MYSELF. Because we are the future leader. We gotta tolerate with other group members. We never give up and persevere to the end untill we success!

Will be writing floating membrane part II for presentation day. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment